Depression

depression

Depression

Not wanting to live,
But not wanting to die,
Drowning in your own thoughts,
And wanting to cry.
Very low spirited,
Day after day,
Not being able to sleep,
When in bed you lay.
Irritable and impatient,
Feeling full of despair,
Even when you awake,
You’re in a nightmare.
Distancing yourself from others,
And finding it difficult to speak,
Thinking what is the point?
As the future seems bleak.
Wanting to self harm,
Battling with anxiety,
Listening to repetitive thoughts,
While sitting there so silently.
Tired with no energy,
You cant cope with the stress,
You cant make no decisions,
As your mind is a mess.
One in five get depression,
So alone you are not,
And you will get through it,
Even if your mind says you cannot.

A Poem By Corey Booth . . :)
Twitter – @CoreyPoetry

67 comments on “Depression

1. Been there, Corey. Bang on and well said.

2. venxnev says:

I think it’s very hard to express the feelings of depression. I honestly think it’s the hardest feeling to express in words thoroughly because you get caught up in trying to associate it with something else in hopes that what you say would make someone else understand it too.

But what you’ve written here captures the full understanding of depression in every possible way. I can literally walk through it and feel every word and every line. It’s also very simply structured so it’s not confusing. I’m sorry I’m talking too much but you really did great. :)

3. NOAEfame says:

I think writing may be a sad and lonely work. We live a lone we create a lone.
    good words.

4. dimpap416 says:

Reblogged this on Goth Culture Blog.

5. Great work! Much of my debut poetry collection deals with my own struggles with depression. A very important subject to put to prose.

6. xthumbelina says:

Fucking amazing. Can relate to this so much x

7. klove says:

Amazing! Only he who feels it knows it. Keep writing. Big Love. Klove

8. susank456 says:

A very deep strong piece! Excellent poem. I hope you are doing okay. If you want to talk I will listen.

9. Verity.Louisa says:

Reblogged this on callousheart.

10. Bugburrypond says:

Beautiful… Sending Love & Light your way.

11. Wow, this is spectacular. Will be re-blogging!

12. chowanyau says:

Actually sadly it is higher, one in 4, major issue highlighted by World Health Organisation. I have battled/lived with depression most of my marriage so I can identify with your poem. Hope there are good days as well as bad and small things in life that give you slight relief and a breather from the gloom and overwhelming hopelessness. It does get better, however many times or how long your depression lasts.

• ClownPonders says:

Is that’s low is it? On the leaflet the doctor gave me it said one in five :( I am glad you can relate :) I’m confident things will get better and will get better soon :D thank you for taking the time to comment :)

13. ‘you are in a nightmare’ … nicely put! Great work, and hope you’re fine!

14. M.R. Smith says:

It is very spot on. Anyone who experiences depression can relate to what you say. I know I can. Thank you for sharing.

15. kyndrabear says:

This is amazing and it really speaks to me. I love it!

16. lljostes says:

Been there at that place, but God is good and wouldn’t let me stay there. Peace. Thanks for following “What’s The Good Word?”

17. I love this you not only gave a true reflection of what depression feels like but you also let the reader know that there is a way out. Powerful poetry x

18. Can’t seem to re-blog this :(

19. Yes, you are stronger! Great piece. Thank you for following, I’m following you back. =) I’ll follow you on Twitter as well.

20. WoW! that is a very raw, real piece of poetry…so very true …

21. What an amazingly honest delivery of such fragile, raw feelings…beautifully said…great poem I can feel the pain. I must reblog if that’s okay. Cheryl-Lynn

22. Reblogged this on Stop the Stigma! and commented:
    Depression hurts…

23. edgarone2 says:

a condition called acedia.
    painful and deep.

24. Meka says:

I knew that this would be amazing. Thank you so much for sharing. I’ve also nominated you for the Very Inspiring Blogger Award since you are among the most inspiring bloggers to me –lovemeka http://lovemekanism.org/2013/08/09/thank-you-very-inspiring-blogger-award/

25. I’m guessing something like this is not easy to write. Well done.

• ClownPonders says:

Actually it was a lot easier than I thought it would be, the words seem to flow out of my mind so easily even though its a tough subject

• It’s an interesting piece to analyse. It’s obviously written from the point of view of experience it… but the choice of language (whether conscious or not – I’m not presuming to know) creates distance… e.g. “alone YOU are not, And YOU will get through it…”. For me – that’s what illustrates the barrier of isolation. I like that, a lot.

26. Leo says:

Nice description of an awful state of mind

27. Your poetry is very moving, most of us can relate. Poetry and music got me out of my own abyss. Glad to know no one is alone. Thanks for visiting NoFi Jazz Cafe. Matthew and Sharon Scott.

28. sandrabranum says:

So beautiful and thought provoking. As I recently commented on Face Book, sometimes you have to write about the dark so others will see the light. Regards, Sandra

29. jgmtheo says:

You have captured the depressed one’s feelings perfectly. Praise God we do not have to stay in a depressed state, we can be lifted out of it by one who is greater than ourselves.

30. Patrice says:

So lovely. So sad. So optimistic. So glad I read! :D

31. theprodigalthinker says:

….I know this place. Yep. In a nutshell. :)

32. theprodigalthinker says:

Reblogged this on Uncomfortable Conversation.

33. Liam Hughes says:

It’s really difficult to explain to people what going through depression is like, even more so to explain it as a male going through it. People easily assume it to be an emotion rather than illness. But you capture it beautifully. Well done!